Friday 2 May 2014

Norman McLaren Talk + Film Screening

I went to the McLaren talk on Wednesday and have come away with some great quotes for reference:

I like movement for movements sake - Norman McLaren
 Dance is movement, movement is life  Ludmilla Chiriaeff


The Friday screening of his student films was accompanied by the Glasgow Improvisor's Orchestra. The experience of watching the films was definitely enhanced by the music. The orchestra often play/improvise to live performances so I am going to include the orchestra as part of my pitch. I regard the motion of the pedestrians as an improvised 'performance' of sorts so I feel the music would complement the work.

         
I think seeing McLaren's films have given me a better idea of the direction I want to take with the intro movie, that is to create a part-movie, part-animation. I think that the way I am 'plotting the motion' with coloured dots is almost animation-like in a sense, as it kind of breaks down a motion/path i.e. like a dotted line, so making the whole film in that style will give a more cohesive look. I also like the idea of using title cards for the scenes as it helps to narrate the animation.




For the animation I will probably use a combination of stop-motion photography as well as converting footage into quicktime image sequences. The above film was originally shot as a film clip but I converted it into 1 fps files.  I edited out the dropper action so there is a bit of a jump in parts of the sequence, but overall I think it is getting close to what I want to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment